[Nut-upsuser] PowerWare 9120 via USB?

Tobias Balle-Petersen tbp at kontrapunkt.com
Wed Nov 7 11:06:11 UTC 2007

Hi Kjell.

Kjell Claesson wrote:
> > It looks like you have a problem with the usb connection. Check the cabling.
> > The driver is using a binary protocol with checksum, and is hard on bit
> > errors.

I have tried two different USB-cables. The one that came with the UPS and another one I had lying
around. I have tried both ports on the computer (Apple mac G4).

> > It is not a compatibility error, as it should hang on the same command.
> > And it was developed on a 9120 but serial connected.

If the PW9120 is supported by both drivers (bcmxcp_usb and bcmxcp) should it not be listed in both
sections on the chart?

> > Use hi class usb cables, if You is unable to use the serial version of the
> > driver. Use a short sheelded cable. Don't twist it around the powerlines.

Does communicating with the UPS demand more of the USB-cables than any other USB-setup (printers
etc.)? If so why?

> > Then you should get new version of nut as 2.0.4 is past date.

I'm running Debian Stable. 2.0.4 is the latest version. My UPS should be usable with this version right?

Thanks,
Tobias