[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS ES 550 reports zero(0) load

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Fri Oct 12 12:52:58 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I just bought two APC UPSes, an EX 1300 and an ES 550 for two
different sites and installed NUT for the first time on two machines
(one Centos 4.1, the other Ubuntu 7.04).  So far I'm well impressed --
excellent work by the dev team!  The EX 1300 is working beautifully
with NUT on the Centos box, but I'm having a bit of a problem with the
ES 550: even while loaded, the ups.load value reported by upsc and
other tools is always zero (see upsc.out, attached).  I've also
attached the debugging info from usbhid-ups.

Both instances are running the latest stable release, built on the
aforementioned machines.    I realize that the different models of
UPSes could have wildly different capabilities/reporting options
w.r.t. to NUT, but I spent a couple of days searching the mailing list
archives and haven't encountered anyone else describing a similar
situation with the ES series, which is odd 'cos they appear to be
pretty popular deskside UPSes.  I can't be the only one using one with
an Ubuntu machine...

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  If I need to patch the
source to add support for the ES 550, I can do that, with a little
guidance.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Steeves                               ben.steeves at unb.ca