[Nut-upsuser] MGE Pulsar Ellipse 800 off early or box shutdown late

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Oct 24 11:19:07 UTC 2007

>> 1) Does the shutdown sequence take too long?
> Is it about 15 - 20 seconds (from usual system message about shutdown).

That's not an inordinate long time, so this should not be a problem.

>> 2) How old are the batteries? Could it be they are already worn out (you
>> can expect this after 3-5 years and even sooner at temperatures above 25
>> degrees centigrade.
> It was renewed month later - I use it about 3 years, but I do not use any
> software for shutdown - it is a quite old restance:)

Unless you used crappy batteries, just a month old should not raise
suspicion either.

>> 3) Is the load really 300W?
> Good question! - on state "ONLINE" I have status report from cgi-nut /
> apache2 that load is about 70%, on state"ONBATTERY" reports that is it
> about 115 .. 120% (what I'm do not understand what is the real).

That is worrying. Especially the high load reported on battery is suspect.
It could be that your UPS is shutting down to an overload situation,
rather than depleted batteries. How much charge is indicated, right after
the system shuts down? If there is quite some charge left, chances are
that the system was shutdown due to overload. Short of shedding some of
the load of the UPS, there is probably nothing you can do about that.

> Debian 4.0 "Etch" including package nut 2.04-4 - it is includes mge-shut
> and mge-utalk - "utalk" does not work for me - too many "stale" messages.
> Of course I can try to "backport" "newmge-shut" - some how:)

Don't bother. Probably the best thing would be to upgrade to the latest
version (nut-2.2.1-pre1 or newer). There have been massive improvements to
the 'usbhid-ups' driver and consequently 'newmge-shut', the serial version
of that driver.

> I think the best solution for me, is to confugure the upssched, write some
> scripts and start shutdown procedure at point when ups "ONBATTERY" state
> is recognized.

That may not help at all if your UPS is overloaded.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands