[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 800 shutdown problems - using upsmon NOTIFYCMD

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Oct 24 20:15:35 UTC 2007

tovis wrote:

> upsmon.conf using NOTIFCMD and NOTIFYFLG is working well, it is calling my
> script "notify" on requested events (ONBATTERY,LOWBATTERY and ONLINE).
> Command
> #upsmon -c fsd -u monmaster myups at localhost
>
> gracefully shutdown my box and after several seconds switch off the ups's
> load.
>
> Two problems:
>   - notify script is called and executed as user "nut" (as it used to be
>     defined in nut package for Debian 4.0 Etch). To execute forced shutdown
>     it must be root!

Use 'sudo', with sufficient restrictions in place so that this user can
only execute

	upsmon -c fsd

as root.

>   - seem to be a good idea, to set "ups.delay.start" for a resonabli longer
>     time!

Not really. In fact, this variable is implemented in the wrong way for
the NUT version you now have. Since it immediately acts upon a change,
this is an 'instcmd'. It should not be writeable through upsrw. This has
been corrected in the 'newmge-shut' driver from nut-2.2.1pre1.

Having said that, you probably should make yourself familiar with the
'One more tip' section in 'docs/shutdown.txt' which gives an option how
to deal with this in a different way. Chances are however, that your UPS
will provide a way to do this automatically which is better. Please post
the output of 'upsc' for your UPS, so that we can see if that' supported
by the driver you have now.

> How to these changes?

Please upgrade to a more recent version first. I have to dig deep into
the old sources to help here, which is taking me too much time. If you
need more help, I suggest you first upgrade to at least nut-2.2.0.

Best regards, Arjen