[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 800 shutdown problems

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Oct 26 09:20:25 UTC 2007

>    Usuallly I'm using for this kind of controll strongly ASCII coding,
>    at least intel hexa (simple memory dump), but when so small amount of
>    information in could be more readable, not only for "beauty" but
>    debugging purposes. In this case you can use a simple terminal
>    application such as minicom or on windows I have some free two channel
>    serial communication observing applications, which allow to see
>    everything as it happens! - here is not this situation, you need to
>    write something for check the communication:(

The protocol your UPS uses is essentially USB-over-serial, so the above is
not an option.

> Also there is another problems, you need give some delay to fifnish the
> shutdown procedure before ups OFF the load,and you need some delay, after
> back the line power to have some charge in the batteries (at least to
> support for one more shutdown cycle) - this also does not work with new
> version.

If you send the power-off command to the UPS at the right time during the
shutdown sequence, you don't need a delay at all. There should be nothing
left to do when you send that command. It should be the last thing your
system does, just before the time it usually sends the power-off command
to the internal power supply.

Some UPS'es support the notion of delaying startup until the batteries
have regained sufficient charge. Apparently, yours doesn't. In that case,
the 'docs/shutdown.txt' file suggests how to deal with that.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands