[Nut-upsuser] empty ups.status on TrippLite SMART1500RMXL2U

Justin Ellison justin at techadvise.com
Thu Jan 24 16:31:38 UTC 2008

Hi Charles,

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 07:31 -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:

> ups.power.nominal seems like it should be 1500 instead of 150. Is the
> input voltage actually 120 VAC? How are the outlets grouped? (That is,
> how many are switchable, and how many are on all the time?) Also, what
> are the USB product and vendor IDs (available from lsusb)?

The Windows software also reports protocol 0004.  This is an old unit,
probably 5 years old or so.  I looked, but didn't see any way to update
firmware on this UPS.

It's a 1500VA, so yeah, no idea why it reads 150.  Input is 120V.

There are two load groups, load 1 is switchable, and has two outlets on
it.  load group 2 is not switchable, and contains the other six outlets.

I'm running Nut in an embedded environment, and don't have lsusb
available.  I can setup Nut on my laptop for testing if need be, but
here's the relevant section of /proc/bus/usb/devices:

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=09ae ProdID=0001 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=TRIPP LITE
S:  Product=  Tripp Lite SMART1500RMXL2U
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 60mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=200ms

> If you are mainly concerned with on-battery/on-line and low battery
> indications, just hook up the unit with a dummy load (so as not to
> crash the computer when the batteries die) and run the batteries down
> while monitoring the "ups.debug.S" line.
>
> Even better would be to compare values directly with what the Tripp
> Lite software returns, if you have a Windows system available. If you
> go that route, we could also look at a USB protocol dump.

My primary concern is battery status, but it would be nice to have all
the other features too.  I can hijack my wife's laptop for awhile to do
the dump, but I'm unfamiliar with the internals of the PowerAlert
software.  What do I need to do to get you the data you need?

Justin