[Nut-upsuser] Tripp lite SMART1000LCD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:16:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 2:53 PM, Karl Dalen <k_dal2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Charles,
>
> Thanks for your information.
> I've just compiled the latest NUT version nut-2.2.1.
> When I plug in the USB cable from the ups it looks like
> the device does not get recognized at all in the system.
> Shouldn't there be some log info in /var/syslog or dmesg
> when a device is plugged in? There was nothing there.
> I'm running Linux kernel,  2.6.17 (mandriva 2007)

Yes. You should see some messages, and it should be listed in the
output of 'lsusb'.

Note that some versions of Linux are changing permissions of certain
devices when they are plugged in, so if in doubt, be sure to run lsusb
as root. But you should still see some messages in dmesg.

> # /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.1
> Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.32 (2.2.1)
>
> No matching HID UPS found
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> Am I missing some usb utility needed for hid devices to  work in Linux ?

No userspace utilities or packages, and the HID kernel module actually
gets detached by most of the NUT drivers anyway. Also, that takes
effect after the kernel has been able to identify the VID/PID as shown
in lsusub.

> My usb keyboard and mouse do work.

If you see no trace of the UPS in dmesg or lsusb, it sounds like
either a cable problem, an issue with the USB port itself, or maybe
the UPS needs to be "reset". Some UPSes do not support both the USB
and serial ports being active at the same time, so they need to be
powered down completely in between. (This may not apply if the
SMART1000LCD doesn't have a serial port.)

- Charles Lepple