[Nut-upsuser] Usb, udev and nut

Sean Thomas SeanT at zdata.co.za
Mon May 12 11:05:59 UTC 2008

Hi All

I am connecting a ups via a usb to serial converter.  Works fine,
however when the converter is unplugged and plugged back in, udev
creates another device e.g instead of ttyUSB0 it creates ttyUSB1. Here
is the udev rule that I added to the top of the 025_nut-usbups.rules
file in order to create a static symlink should udev decide to create
the device as either ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1.

KERNEL=="ttyUSB?", MODE="664" GROUP="nut", SYMLINK+="upsserial2usb"

The ups.conf file is set to use the newly created symlink
/dev/upsserial2usb

[myups]
   driver = megatec
   port = /dev/upsserial2usb
   desc = "Local UPS"

And here is the problem: upsdrvctl will fail to start when pointed to
the symlink that the udev rule creates, but will start normally when set
to use /dev/ttyUSB0 for example.

I have also tried using NAME="upsserial2usb" in the rules file.  Same
issue however.

Thanks
Sean