[Nut-upsuser] Usb, udev and nut

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon May 12 11:50:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Sean Thomas <SeanT at zdata.co.za> wrote:
> And here is the problem: upsdrvctl will fail to start when pointed to the
> symlink that the udev rule creates, but will start normally when set to use
> /dev/ttyUSB0 for example.

That's a handy rule to have.

I will have to try again later with udev and a USB-to-serial adapter,
but I did a quick test with a symlink to /dev/ttyS0, using NUT from
the SVN trunk (rev 1368), and I did not have any problems starting the
bestups driver.

Let's try and close the gap between what works, and what doesn't:

1) What version of NUT are you using? Did you compile from source, or
is it provided by your Linux distribution as a package?

2) What do you get from 'ls -l /dev/upsserial2usb' and 'ls -lL
/dev/upsserial2usb'?

3) Run upsdrvctl with "-t" as well, and copy the command it uses to
start the driver. Then, add "-D" to that command and run it. For me,
this would be "/lib/nut/bestups -D -a ppro2". What messages do you get
from the driver?

--
- Charles Lepple