[Nut-upsuser] Powerware9120 not shutting down the UPS

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Fri Sep 19 18:14:03 UTC 2008

Den Friday 19 September 2008 10.13.16 skrev Deon Bredenhann:
> Hi all
Hi Deon,

> I'm busy testing the Powerware9120 and am stuck at the powering down of
> the UPS.
> I'm running the latest Debian Lenny and here is my versions
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.14 (2.2.2)
>
> ups.conf
> [pw]
>     driver = bcmxcp_usb
>     port = auto
>     shutdown_delay = 60

The shutdown_delay is the delay after you issue the upsdrvctl shutdown
command.

> I get all the correct info from the UPS and NUT works great and PC
> shutsdown on low battery. The only problem is that the UPS itself does
> not shut down, so the PC will never come back up when the power is
> restored.

This may due to that your halt script don't send the upsdrvctl shutdown in the
end. Or that you don't waited 60 seconds for it to power of (se above).

Read the shudown.txt in the doc's.

> I have also tried the bcmxcp and upscode2 drivers from some posts that I
> saw in the archive, but none of these return any data.

The bcmxcp driver should work. But you have to connect it by the serial port.
And change port in ups.conf to (example) /dev/ttyS0 for com1
The bcmxcp and bcmxcp_usb is the same driver. The difference is the
communication part. One talk over usb and the other over serial line.

Somethimes you need to power of and disconnect the ups if you have used it
on the usb port to have it switch back and start communicate on the serial
port.

Regards
/Kjell (bcmxcp author)