[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite OMNISV1500XL on Debian lenny (NUT 2.2.2)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 03:14:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Lelsie Rhorer <lrhorer at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
>             I am running a Tripp Lite OMNISV1500XL under NUT using the
> tripplite_usb driver on a Debian "Lenny" Linux system.  The platform is an
> AMD Athlon 64 x 2 processor running kernel 2.6.26.  The driver is up and
> running, but there are several issues.
>
>             First, the system drops communications with the UPS regularly -
> typically 2 or three times an hour.  I've worked around this by running a
> script which checks every few seconds to make sure the UPS driver is
> on-line, and if not restarts NUT.  I do not observe this behavior when I
> boot Windows XP Pro 64 on the system.

I believe this has been addressed once before:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/4213/match=known

>             Secondly, the reported voltages are all incorrect.  I measured
> them with an accurate voltmeter, and the Input Voltage is typically around
> 120V, the Output Voltage is 122V, and the Battery Voltage at full charge is
> 26V.  Running under Windows, the system confirms these values.  Under the
> Linux driver, however, the system is reporting an Input Voltage of around
> 113V, an Output Voltage of 114V, and a fully charged Battery Voltage of
> 14.6V.

April Fools! We're just doing this to keep you on your toes.

Actually, almost everything in tripplite_usb was determined by
experimentation. You can see the raw data by starting the driver with
an extra "-D" or two on the command line. (Please don't post the
output to the list - at least, not until we have an answer to #2
below.)

In order to fix the driver, we would need two things:

1) readings from the driver as the battery discharges, and the
corresponding multimeter readings.

2) a way to distinguish your unit from the other units, which appear
to work with the current scale values.

Also, for #1, it would be ideal if you had a way to vary the line voltage.

Finally, to paraphrase Arjen, "an UPS is not a measurement device."

--
- Charles Lepple