[Nut-upsuser] Can't claim USB device

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:12:57 UTC 2009

2009/4/6 Brandon Metcalf <brandon at geronimoalloys.com>

> ----- Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Brandon,
> >
> > 2009/4/6 Brandon Metcalf <brandon at geronimoalloys.com>
> >
> > > Just built and installed nut 2.4.1 with a usb.conf that looks like
> > >

> > first, have you rebuilt  from nut source or deb source?
> > if you've gone for #1, you should have prefered to backport the 2.4.1
> > packages in jaunty to get the best integration...
>
> I built it from the source downloaded from
>
>  http://www.networkupstools.org/source.html
>
> What do you mean by backport the packages in jaunty?  What is involved in
> doing this?

- getting the source package (.dsc, .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz) from here
 http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/nut
- install the build toolchain (gcc, make, ...) andautotools-dev fakeroot
dh-make build-essential devscripts
- unpack the source package: dpkg-source -x *.dsc
- from the build dir: debuild -us -uc
- you'll be warned of the missing prerequisites
- once built successfully, your debs will be in the parent dir.

> >  [trippb]
> > >    driver = usbhid-ups
> > >    port = auto
> > >    desc = "Tripp Lite SmartPro 2200RMXL2U"
> > >
> > > The OS is Ubuntu 8.04.2 with kernel version 2.6.24.
> > >
> > > When trying to start the driver I get
> > >
> > >  $ sudo ./upsdrvctl start
> > >  Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
> > >  Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.1)
> > >  USB communication driver 0.31
> > >  Can't claim USB device [09ae:3012]: could not detach kernel driver
> from
> > > interface 0: Operation not permitted
> > >  Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> > >
> > > The UPS is detected when connected.  From the output of dmesg
> > >
> > >  [689484.575866] hiddev96hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Device [Tripp Lite
>  TRIPP
> > > LITE SMART2200RMXL2U ] on usb-0000:00:03.0-2
> > >
> > > lsusb also lists the UPS.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> > this might be due to:
> > - the missing udev rule file in /etc/udev/rules.d (52-nut-usbups.rules),
> > - or its application. I've noticed that the udev patch from SJR only
> apply
> > the rules upon an unplug/replug of the UPS' USB cord.
>
> OK.  I definitely don't have the rules in place.  Where can I get a copy?
>  It's not included in the source.

in nut source dir: scripts/udev/52-nut-usbups.rules

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops