[Nut-upsuser] Nut and PowerWare 5115

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:59:01 UTC 2009

Greg,

2009/4/23 Greg <greg_roll at hotmail.com>

>  Hi Arnaud and Kjell,
>
> Please find answers below.
>
> I also re-compiled 2.4.1 myself on Ubuntu and still got the same
> issues/errors.

ok, I think I've got it: how did you tried this one: recompiling the deb
package or the source.
there is a udev change in 2.4.1 that is targeted to Jaunty.
udev rules were previously in /etc/udev/rules.d, and is now is
/lib/udev/rules.d

this means that the privileges won't be set correctly if you use such a
package on pre jaunty.
if you went from source, well I'm not sure.

 If you have anything you would like run or if there is any other debugging
> I am happy to compile/run it.

yep, I'm interested in a simple 'lsusb'
then, validates the privileges for both 2.2.2 and 2.4.1 with the data from
lsubs (Bus and Dev)
by doing an "ls -l /dev/bus/usb/XXX/YYY" (and/or /proc/bus... equivalent).

my guess is that it's a permission issue.
and you can validate it by running the driver as root (ie bcmxcp_usb -u root
...)

> Is there anything else you can think of that I can try to get nut 2.2.2
> working on my QNAP??

everything is ok there.
I still fail to see anything that can result in the 2.4.1 issue you have.

> thanks (and sorry for top posting)
> Arnaud
>
> 2009/4/22 Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>
>
>> Greg, Kjell,

>>> Hi Greg,

>>> No problem.

>>> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q3armel/cross/stable/nut_2.4
>>> .
>>> OK.

>>> 2.2.2 by
>>> >
>>> This is not so good. Then we may have a bug introduced to the nut_usb.
>>> I cc this mail to Arnaud.
>>> Arnaud can you run some tests on the PW5115 with NUT 2.4.1 ?
>>> We may have broken something from version 2.2.2.
>>>
>>> But it may be the package also but I think Arnaud is working on that to.
>>>

>> well, the packages (and ipk are iirc kinda simplified debs) are quite
>> straighforward.
>> the "nut" package (for example on Ubuntu) includes the core and the
>> serial/usb drivers, with the udev file and so on. the hal support is in
>> another packages that is conflicting with the "nut" one (in order to avoid
>> runtime conflict between the classic and hal drivers).
>>
>>  The error:
>>> Is indicating that something is already running.
>>> Did you check that the debug run was the only thing running at the
>>> moment.
>>>

>> yup, 2nded.
>> Greg: can you try again this test please.
>>
>> Yes it was the only thing running. I even restarted a few times and tried
>> a few more times.
>>
>>  > So I compiled and installed 2.2.2 on my QNAP device and it still
>>> doesn't
>>> Yes, and I see that you get the same error as you get on 2.4.1 on the
>>> QNAP.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I don't have any 5115 to test this on. So I hope that
>>> Arnaud can test this. My PW3105 is running fine on usb on 2.4.1.
>>>

>> I've just made some test on PW5115 500i (500VA), nut 2.4.1(-2 ; packaged)
>> on an Ubuntu 8.10. Everything was fine. same goes for 2.2.2 (from source
>> this time)
>> the firmwares are:
>> - USB: 01.00
>> - Main:10.04
>>
>> This is the only 5115 I have underhand, but what is puzzling me is the
>> exact model name:
>> - mine (with 2.2.2) displays "Model = PW5115 500i         500VA"
>> - while Greg's displays        "Model = 51150500A           500VA"
>>
>> a subtle difference! though the 2 firmwares (USB and main) are identical.
>> iirc, this value (the name) can be changed. Have you done so Greg?
>> I was unaware about changing the name of the UPS. I have not done this.
>>

>> I'm still learning PW, and will have to check with the PW people there.
> [...]
Arnaud