[Nut-upsuser] SmartUPS-600 problem with 940-0024C cable

Christian Ruppert spooky85 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:25:09 UTC 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 19:29:17 Bob Blackwell wrote:
> Information found in the FAQ section leads me to believe the cable
> description being used is incorrect. Try using cable = 940-0095B.
>
> The FAQ follows;
>
> Q: I have an APC Smart-UPS connected with a grey APC cable and it won't
>     work.  The Back-UPS type in the genericups driver works but then I
>     don't get to use all the nifty features in there.  Why doesn't the
>     right driver work?
>
>  A: The problem lies in your choice of cable.  APC's grey cables
>     generally only do "dumb" signalling - very basic yes/no info about
>     the battery and line status.  While that is sufficient to detect a
>     low battery condition while on battery, you miss out on all the
>     goodies that you paid for.
>
>     Note that the 940-0095B happens to be a grey cable, but it is actually
>     a dual mode cable and can be used in smart mode.  If you have
>     this cable, you need to edit your ups.conf to look like this:
>
> 	[myups]
> 		driver = apcsmart
> 		port = /dev/whatever
> 		cable = 940-0095B
>
>     All other grey cables from APC are assumed to be "dumb".
>
>     If your grey cable isn't the 940-0095B, the solution is to dump that
>     cable and find one that supports APC's "smart" signalling.  Typically
>     these come with the UPS and are black.  If your smart cable has
>     wandered off, one can be built rather easily with some connectors and
>     cable - there's no fancy wiring or resistors.
>
>     See this URL for a handy diagram:
>
>     http://random.networkupstools.org/cables/940-0024C.jpg

Hm, I'm a bit confused now regarding to the cables, is the 940-0024C equal
940-0095B?

Anyway I changed the cable option to 940-0095B and I get:
# /lib/nut/apcsmart -a myups -DD
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 2.00 (2.4.1)
APC command table version 2.0
debug level is '2'
Attempting firmware lookup
Not found in table - trying normal method
APC - Attempting to find command set
APC - Parsing out command set
Unable to split APC version string

If I modify the apcsmart.c so that I get the ret value its always CF or D0
regardless of the command.
So there must be anything wrong :/
I'm just not sure where.. Cable? I don't think so except the diagram is
wrong.. UPS? Perhaps... Nut? Dunno..

--
Regards,
Christian Ruppert