[Nut-upsuser] ups not recognized by usbhid-ups

Zeev Tarantov zeev.tarantov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:18:09 UTC 2009

RE: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2009-August/005344.html

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> This isn't a device that is supported by usbhid-ups. However, we have
> seen the bogus VID:PID combination before. You might want to give the
> blazer_usb or megatec_usb drivers a try. If you're lucky, these might
> give you limited support to at least monitor the status of the UPS.
>
> Note that neither driver will support the shutdown function. If you're
> willing to decode how that works for this UPS (if possible at all),
> you'll probably have to snoop the communication between Windows driver
> and the UPS.

> Best regards, Arjen

Thank you! It is indeed the same UPS described by Mutlu in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2009-August/005300.html
(a google search on the firmware IN01064B turns up the thread)

with blazer_usb driver I get:

$ upsc myups
battery.voltage: 27.00
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
beeper.status: disabled
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.vendorid: ffff
driver.version: 2.4.1
driver.version.internal: 0.03
input.current.nominal: 0.0
input.frequency: 50.0
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 222.0
input.voltage.fault: 140.0
input.voltage.nominal: 230
output.voltage: 222.0
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.firmware: IN01064B
ups.load: 9
ups.mfg:
ups.model:
ups.productid: 0000
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 25.0 <-- wrong and doesn't change
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: ffff

The technical specs and manual wording and illustrations for my ups
and the one from
http://www.informups.com/informer_compact.html
appear to be exactly the same, except for the plastic cover on the front.

Compare the two pictures
http://www.informups.com/images/informer_compact.jpg
and
http://www.eitan-tut.co.il/var/img/lego/thumb/6520_1
(no file extension, but is a jpg)

My printed manual has illustrations for more variants.

I still don't know who the manufacturer is or how to get anything more
out of it, but it's progress.
If I get anywhere snooping on the Windows drivers I'll post more.

-Zeev