[Nut-upsuser] Serial comm errors with bcmxcp on HP R3000 XR

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Sat Aug 29 10:51:52 UTC 2009

OK,

> Should I try changing the polling frequency just to see if it helps?

Don't think it would help. If it would be a problem with poll frequency, the
error should be continuous and constant. The same is if there was any problem
with the driver to the specific model of ups you are running.

The driver polls the same data every time, so the error should happen on every
poll.

> > Can you relate the errors in the log to any activity? Is the time random
> > or is it spread evenly over time ?
>
> I am not getting any other errors or events or significance or that
> correspond with the UPS errors. The comm errors are not continuous, but
> there doesn't seem to be a strict pattern. They seem to cluster one
> every minute or two for between two and ten minutes at a time, with
> periods of between a half hour to an hour of quiet between the clusters.

This sound like a kind of EMI. Do you have the beer fridge
beside the computer :-)

Check your vicinity for any source of EMI. Fan motors for ventilation, old
dimmers, fridges, air-condition.

I cc this to Arjen also, one of the guy's in the NUT team that have great
knowledge about this tings.

Regards
Kjell