[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Mon Feb 9 17:16:22 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
> Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco at absence.it>:
>
>>> If you want to conserve power on your UPS, you should simply send a
>>> client a command to shutdown.
>> How can I do that? How can I shutdown different systems at different
>> battery charge levels (or expected runtime)? I thought the only option
>> aviable was using upssched.
>
> Well, that is the whole point now, at the moment there isn't.

So we can say "it seems I understood how NUT works now. But then it is
not the solution for us." as Lars stated, right? I think the scenario
and requirements I described before are similar to (mine and) his ones.
NUT is handy if you want to shut down one or many systems in the same
moment but not in such case (upssched, is not even part of the core and
does not fully fits these needs).

> Switching off systems at various battery.charge/runtime levels is only
> useful, if you can also switch them on again.

Not really, there are many ways, such as IP PDUs, Wake-on-Lan, ecc...

> This is where the
> programmable outlets come into play.

They are a comfortable and easy solution, but not the only one.

> We first need to deal with that.
> Hopefully we will have something available by summer, but don't hold
> your breath. The number of active developers is quite limited at the
> moment and personally I feel that there are more important things to
> work on at the moment.

Ok, although in my opinion "ordered shutdowns" it's an important feature
and discussing about design before implementation is a good thing.
Just to be clear, there's no polemic intent in my words, I want to focus
attention on some problems that I believe should be considered to make
NUT powerful and customizable.

>> I'm sorry, I didn't state explicitly I was talking about upssched. I
>> prefer to choose when to shutdown the computers looking at the battery
>> charge or the remaining runtime rather than after X time.
>
> This is something you will rarely find on no-name consumer grade UPS,
> but as far as I know the more well known brands (MGE, APC, Tripplite)
> support this out of the box for their systems.

Sorry, what you mean? Not every UPS can shutdown whenever you want? Or
not every UPS provide battery charge reading?

Regards,
Marco Chiappero