[Nut-upsuser] Powerware 5110 UPS with nut in Ubuntu

Greg Vickers daehenoc at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 12 04:26:28 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've got a Powerware 5110 UPS that I'm trying to set up with nut in
Ubuntu.  I've installed nut and configured the first two files:

$ cat /etc/nut/nut.conf
MODE=standalone
$ cat /etc/nut/ups.conf
[pw5110]
	driver = bcmxcp_usb
	port = auto
#	port = /dev/bus/usb/002/002

When I try to test this configuration with the following command:
$ sudo upsdrvctl start pw5110
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.21 (2.4.1)
USB communication subdriver 0.17
Can't set POWERWARE USB configuration
Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus

Things to try:

  - Connect UPS device to USB bus

  - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'user=...' in
ups.conf).
    See upsdrvctl(8) and ups.conf(5).

Fatal error: unusable configuration
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

I found which device was being created by the udev rules and the device
/dev/bus/usb/002/002 does exist and the group is set to 'nut'.  (You can
see that I have tried specifying the port as this device, to no avail.)

I'm obviously missing something, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg