[Nut-upsuser] How to connect Trust UPS Energy Protector 400VA with nut

Peter Werner p.werner at hipax.de
Wed Jul 15 14:56:45 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I have been trying to figure out the whole day how I can connect our old
Trust UPS Energy Protector 400VA with nut. But I have not made any
progress yet and the worst is: I have no idea where to start although I read
the documentation and search the web.

My first problem is how to find out which driver I should take because
this UPS is not in the compatibility list. The second issue is that it
seems to
be that every UPS has either a serial or a usb connection in order to
communicate
to the PC - but our old UPS has none. There are only power plug ins - and
that is it.

As far as I understand that UPS stuff - and I have not already told you
that I am newbie with UPS ;-) it is some kind of contact closure device.
It using the power connection to tell the PC if the power is low. So that
means I should try the genericups driver if I understand right. But this
driver
also want a configured port - which one because I haven't any serial
connection -
and a upstype. But no one does fit. I also took a look into the description
for the powercom and the megatec drivers - also in the source code.

But I as I said - this does not bring me further. O.K: in the man page
for the
the genericups driver is described how you can test if the UPS can be
control
with nut. But - and this is my question - has never ever anybody used
this UPS
with nut? I not it is cheap UPS, it is old, etc. - but we have it and
now we have
a Linux which should use it. So if somebody has read that far and has
maybe an
advice for me is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kind Regards

Peter Werner

Steinhart Medizinsysteme GmbH
Grubstraße 6-8
D-79279 Vörstetten

Tel.: +49(0)7666-90070
Fax.: +49(0)7666-900711
http://www.hipax.de

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Wittmer und Dr. Martina Steinhart
Handelsregister B Freiburg i.Brsg. HRB 261362
VAT DE813672991