[Nut-upsuser] How to connect Trust UPS Energy Protector 400VA with nut

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Jul 15 18:09:35 UTC 2009

Citeren Peter Werner <p.werner op hipax.de>:

> I have been trying to figure out the whole day how I can connect our old
> Trust UPS Energy Protector 400VA with nut. But I have not made any
> progress yet and the worst is: I have no idea where to start although I read
> the documentation and search the web.
>
> My first problem is how to find out which driver I should take because
> this UPS is not in the compatibility list. The second issue is that
> it seems to
> be that every UPS has either a serial or a usb connection in order
> to communicate
> to the PC - but our old UPS has none. There are only power plug ins - and
> that is it.

In that case, you can't monitor it. It isn't possible, because the
maker of this device didn't provide an interface for monitoring.
You'll only find this limitation on the rock bottom low priced devices
and yours presumably is.

> As far as I understand that UPS stuff - and I have not already told you
> that I am newbie with UPS ;-) it is some kind of contact closure device.

Even those devices will be equipped with a monitoring port and
generally, this will be a DB-9 connector that connects to a RS-232
port (sometimes via a specially wired cable). But if there is not
port, you're out of luck.

> It using the power connection to tell the PC if the power is low.

There are plans to do this (powerline communication) but as far as I
know, there is no manufacturer of PC power supplies that supports
this. It is a great idea, that would do away with a lot of headaches
for signaling the power state, but so far this has never gone beyond
great ideas. In any case, NUT can't help you with this.

> So that
> means I should try the genericups driver if I understand right.

Not at all. Even that one needs a serial port (I'm quite sure that is
written somewhere in the documentation as well, but you seem to have
missed that).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list