[Nut-upsuser] two MGE Ellipse 1500 ups via usb

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Nov 18 08:42:42 UTC 2009

Citeren Thomas Gutzler <thomas.gutzler op gmail.com>:

> Thanks for your very tutorial email. It helped a lot.
> I have moved my master monitor to the nfs machine and setup upsmon on
> all other machines.

Good. That is the most robust setup, short of having everything
powered from one huge UPS.

> My master, which is also nfs server now reads:
> MONITOR ups1 op localhost 1 monmaster blah master
> MONITOR ups2 op localhost 1 monmaster blah master
> MINSUPPLIES 2
> FINALDELAY 5

You'll want to increase the FINALDELAY here to give the NFS clients
some time to save their data. Because all systems now have the same
FINALDELAY value, they will all start shutting down at the same time
(including the NFS server). Something like 60-120 seconds is usually
plenty. Since the load on the UPS will rapidly decrease (with systems
powering down), usually the UPS will be able to keep the output powered.

> All other systems do this:
> MONITOR ups1 op monitor 1 monslave blah slave
> MINSUPPLIES 1
> FINALDELAY 5

Since both UPS devices now are equally important to the upsmon master,
monitoring ups1 by all slaves will work. But it would be better to
make sure they monitor the ups1 or ups2 they receive power from, in
order to prevent nasty surprises later on, should your configuration
change.

[...]

> The halt shutdown script includes code that runs /etc/init.d/ups-monitor
> poweroff if $INIT_HALT = POWEROFF, which is controlled by
> /etc/default/halt. There, default setting is HALT=poweroff
> So it should all work.

*Verify* that it works by running 'upsmon -c fsd' on the NFS server.
This will simulate a critical power situation and starts the shutdown
sequence for all systems. It's better to try this out at a time that
is convenient to you, than to find out it doesn't work when you're not
around to fix it.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list