[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite SmartPro SMX500RT1U incompatibility

George Stratigis george_stratigis at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 22:03:50 UTC 2009

Greetings to all,

I recently connected a Tripp Lite SMX500RT1U unit to a Synology NAS (basically a Marvell ARM equipped box running a custom 2.6.24 Linux). I tried using the tripplite_usb driver contained in nut 2.4.1 with not much luck.

It does read the model ID and VA rating properly, but fails at everything else - mains voltage (this is a 230VAC EU model), battery config, unit status etc. Seems expected though, since as reported, this model is using yet another Tripp Lite protocol (3005).

It also seems that quite frequently (approx 1s every 10), communication to the UPS is lost and I am getting "data stale" errors. I can't really say if it affects normal operation.