[Nut-upsuser] my new apc usb ups

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Fri Nov 27 21:24:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Guillaume Vachon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got myself 2 APC Back-UPS CS 350
>
> I downloaded the stable nut tar.gz installed it.
> This is not the first time i install and configure nut so i used the
> same configuration as on my other server as i always did. Then i made
> the 2 required modification. I changed these 2 thing:
>        driver = apcsmart
>        port = /dev/hiddev0
>
> # ls -al /dev/hiddev0
> crw------- 1 nut nut 180, 96 Nov 27 09:07 /dev/hiddev0
>
> When i try to start nut i get the following :
>
> # upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.0-
> Network UPS Tools (version 2.2.0-) - APC Smart protocol driver
> 	Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
> tcgetattr(/dev/hiddev0): Invalid argument
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> Thanks in advance if someone can help !
>
> --
> Guillaume Vachon (RHCE, CLP10, CTT+, CNI)
> Conseiller en TI, Formateur
> Infoglobe, http://infoglobe.ca
> 1963, Frank-Carrel, 201 - Québec, QC G1N 2E6
> Téléphone : 418.681.2929 #123

Try port = auto

In addition, is it a SMART APC?

You may also need
         driver = usbhid-ups

Instead of
>        driver = apcsmart

Lastly, lsusb, check the device & bus number, go to dev and find it, make
sure its owner is owned by nut and looks like this:

# ls -lR /dev/bus/usb | grep nut
crw-rw-r-- 1 root nut  189, 385 2009-11-27 16:24 002

Justin.