[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite_usb Driver fail on OMNIVS1500

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 01:07:36 UTC 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

>>> interesting, I was thinking that tripplite_usb was for older
>>> units, not
>>> HID compliant.
>>> the newer runs usbhid-ups, but I'm now wondering if these are HID
>>> compliant.
>>> but looking at the lsusb output, the report size seems too short for
>> this.
>>> anyway, just thinking out loudly.
>>
>> I tried usbhid-ups as well and it told me to use the tripplite_usb
>> drivers.
>
> 	That was my experience, as well, when installing one of these UPS
> units on a Debian "Lenny" system 9 months ago.

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the Tripp Lite vendor ID (09AE),
there are two categories for the product ID:

  - 0001: use tripplite_usb (which is the Tripp Lite serial protocol
stuffed over USB HID)

  - anything else: use usbhid-ups (which is HID Power Device Class)

The information that Chris and Leslie posted refers to PID 0001.

Note that the USB PID is completely separate from the
"ups.firmware.aux" protocol number that tripplite_usb lists (which
also has four digits).

Hope that clears things up a bit.