[Nut-upsuser] Eaton NV 1000H in nut's hardware compatibility list

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Sep 17 09:46:49 UTC 2009

Citeren Vitor Choi Feitosa <vchoi op vchoi.org>:

> You're right. Brazil's voltage standard is 110v in some cities, 220v in most
> and always 60hz. About the ups, it has a big red label stating "use only on
> 220-240V". I really liked your input, so don't get me wrong here: as this
> product was bought (in fact, given to me) in Brazil I'll just assume Eaton
> is selling an ups that's appropriate for use here.

That depends. The fact that a device (in this case, your UPS) is sold
in Brazil, doesn't mean that the manufacturer intended that this
particular model is on the market there.

I would expect that either the nominal voltage of a UPS would match
the nominal mains voltage *or* that it has a provision to select a
nominal voltage. In many cases, there will be dip switches on the back
of the unit or it can switch to a different nominal voltage under
software control (via a command, but I'm pretty sure the Megatec
protocol doesn't support that).

In your case, the UPS will attempt to keep the output as close as
possible to 230V. As can be seen in your logs, it boosted an input
voltage of 209.5V to 247.7V. Would this have been in 230V mains,
boosting would reduce the error from -8.9% to +7.7% (which would
improve things). But for 220V mains, boosting increases the error from
-4.8% to +12.6% (going from marginally low to fairly high).

Looking at the above figures, I doubt that Eaton intended that this
unit is sold in Brazil. Sadly, some vendors don't care about that and
will happily sell units that were designed and manufactured for other
regions in the world.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list