[Nut-upsuser] Things seem to be working but upscmd does nothing

Richard richard-nut at rain4us.net
Wed Dec 15 05:51:41 UTC 2010

The nut ups daemons seem to be communicating with the UPS but upscmd
gives me no joy.   Running commands do nothing and produce no output.
Using the web interface returns an authentication failure and that is
the only clue I  have.  I believe I have everything setup correctly but
it's not working.  Can someone review this and give me clues as to what
I should research next?

<ups.conf>
[Hagrid]
         driver = usbhid-ups
         port = /dev/apcusb
         product = "Smart-UPS 2200 XL FW:690.19.D USB FW:7.4"
         serial = JS1005032730
         desc = "Primary 2200XL with huge battery pack - the big guy"

<upsmon.conf>
MONITOR Hagrid at localhost 1 nutmon easy  master

<upsd.users>
[nutmon]
         password = easy
         nutmon master           # or upsmon slave

root at smwarehost:/etc/nut# /etc/rc.d/rc.ups start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
USB communication driver 0.31
Using subdriver: APC HID 0.95
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.3
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on ::1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [Hagrid]: usbhid-ups-Hagrid
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.4.3
UPS: Hagrid at localhost (master) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

root at vmwarehost:/usr/src/nut# upscmd -l Hagrid
Instant commands supported on UPS [Hagrid]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
test.panel.start - Start testing the UPS panel
test.panel.stop - Stop a UPS panel test

root at vmwarehost:/etc/nut# upscmd -u nutmon -p easy Hagrid
test.battery.start.quick
root at vmwarehost:/etc/nut#