[Nut-upsuser] Success and USB IDs for TrippLite SmartOnline SU1000RTXL2ua

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 19:38:49 UTC 2010

Hi Matt,

first, note that Russell (Kroll) is retired for long.
Support request should go to the NUT Users list, which needs subscription.

2010/6/23 matt <matt at mattevans.org>

> Experts,
>
> I have gotten nut to work this evening, with usbhid-ups, and a small
> addition to udev, on my new TrippLite SmartOnline model.  I am on Ubuntu
> 10.04.  This is the 2U rackmount 800W unit.
>
> The ID was 4004, which was unrecognized.

it has been added to the trunk (development release) after the 2.4.3
release:
r2455: Add "Tripp Lite SmartOnline SU1000XLA" to list of supported devices.
[Ron Peterson]

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-May/006055.html

I do have some questions:
> 1) is the USB HID driver the appropriate choice here?

yes

> 2) the manufacturer feature list for this device indicates that there
> are 3 separately addressable output groups on the back, and that the
> factory management software ought to be able to bring up/down loads 1,
> 2, or 3 independently.  I don't see a mechanism/exposure of this in NUT.

if your UPS *and* your driver support outlets, then you have an outlet
collection displayed, part of the data.

> (...)
> output of upsc:
>
> battery.charge: 100
> battery.charge.low: 25
> battery.charge.warning: 50
> battery.runtime: 1582
> battery.temperature: 27.9
> battery.type: PbAc
> battery.voltage: 28.0
> battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
> device.mfr: Tripp Lite
> device.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
> device.serial: 9902ELCPS719100369
> device.type: ups
> driver.name: usbhid-ups
> driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/usb/hiddev0
> driver.parameter.productid: 4004
> driver.version: 2.4.3
> driver.version.data: TrippLite HID 0.4
> driver.version.internal: 0.34
> input.frequency: 59.9
> input.transfer.high: 150.0
> input.transfer.high.max: 138
> input.transfer.high.min: 133
> input.transfer.low: 65.0
> input.transfer.low.max: 70
> input.transfer.low.min: 65
> input.voltage: 120.2
> input.voltage.nominal: 120
> output.current: 3.10
> output.frequency: 59.9
> output.frequency.nominal: 60
> output.voltage: 120.2
> output.voltage.nominal: 120
> ups.beeper.status: enabled
> ups.delay.shutdown: 20
> ups.delay.start: 30
> ups.load: 36
> ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
> ups.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
> ups.power: 235.0
> ups.power.nominal: 1000
> ups.productid: 4004
> ups.serial: 9902ELCPS719100369
> ups.status: OL
> ups.timer.reboot: -1
> ups.timer.shutdown: -1
> ups.timer.start: 0
> ups.vendorid: 09ae
> ups.watchdog.status: 0
>

> Let me know if there is additional information that would be useful to
> you.

a debug output of the driver is also needed:
$ sudo /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -D -a <upsname>
after having stopped the running instance (using "sudo upsdrvctl stop")
you'll get a dump of the data, then a "Detected..." message where you can
break.

cheers,
Arnaud