[Nut-upsuser] I am a bit confused

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Jul 14 15:27:59 UTC 2010

Citeren durwin op mgtsciences.com:

> I have read the shutdown.txt in the docs directory.  It says that after
> upsmon calls the shutdown command init takes over.  This I understand
> clearly.  However, step 8.
>
> 8. init then runs your shutdown script.  This checks for the
>    POWERDOWNFLAG, finds it, and tells the UPS driver(s) to power off
>    the load.
>
> Since init is shuting down the system, why is the POWERDOWNFLAG needed?
> Why do I need a shutdown script?  init is shuting down everything!

Not at all. There is a difference between shutting down the system
when 'upsmon' has found that the UPS battery is empty and a shutdown
commanded by an operator. In the first case, the UPS should power off
(and restart when the power comes back, if possible) in the second
case the UPS should not be powered off. Other than the POWERDOWNFLAG
there is no way to tell what has happened.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list