[Nut-upsuser] I am a bit confused

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Jul 14 19:12:25 UTC 2010

Citeren durwin op mgtsciences.com:

> I understand now.  Not sure why a UPS has a 'shutdown' feature, but, it
> can't be shutdown before the machine has completed its shutdown.

It's not the command to shutdown that's important. Most drivers will
at the same time also tell the UPS to switch back on when the power
returns. This is important in unattended operations. Especially if the
UPS is powering multiple systems, it helps in guaranteeing that
everything gets a fresh start. If the power returns when the systems
have already begun shutting down, powering down and restarting the UPS
will then bring them back online without intervention. By letting the
UPS run until the battery runs out, might mean that if the mains
returns before that happens, the connected systems will not be
restarted.

> Is this why the UPS has the variable,  ups.delay.shutdown ?

No. See below.

> Mine is set to 20.  I
> assume units are seconds.  Do I adjust it to account for the time my
> machine takes to shutdown?

Usually, the command to kill the output of the UPS is sent seconds
before the machine switches off power (that's why the command must be
sent from the system halt script, near the end). At that time the
filesystems should be (re)mounted read-only so that the machine is
ready to lose power immediately. So anything goes here, even a delay
of as little as 1 second should work.

In the past people have requested that the UPS should wait until the
hard disks have been stopped (spun down), fearing that killing power
to them abruptly might damage them. For that reason, we delay
switching off the UPS. I'm not convinced that this is a real problem
or just FUD, but adding the delay doesn't hurt either.

If you feel your UPS should stay up longer after the system has
shutdown, you can increase this value in some drivers. Since there
isn't really a lot to gain here, many drivers will simply hardcode
this to some fixed value.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list