[Nut-upsuser] still no nut at reboot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 03:35:10 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:28:04 pm Charles Lepple did opine:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Before I start on those scripts again, can you clarify this line in
> > the
> > status output for me?
> > ups.load: 31
>
> Percentage of max load, as reported by the UPS itself.

That was the conclusion I came to after considering alternatives, none of
which made sense once I walked around the suggestion.  Thanks for confirming
it.

> > Its a 1500 WA rated supply.  If that is the percentage of the max
> > load it
> > can support, then there obviously is plenty of margin available to
> > extend a
> > drop cord to a legacy computer in the basement that normally runs
> > headless
> > because I usually work on it from here with a minicom session to a
> > shell
> > started to a serial port on it.  That would help protect it from
> > locally
> > induced lightning cause emp's, which have caused degraded usb hubs
> > in the
> > past.  However, that load would have to include a brother B&W laser
> > printer, and they are hungry, with dim the lights startup draws.
> > Humm.  I
> > think I just shot that idea down in flames.
>
> I tend to keep printers on the surge-suppressed-only outlets.

Inkjets aren't that bad, I've had an epson on this one since forever.  But
warming up the drum in a laser will raise the load considerably.

> > If that is a percentage, the report should add a % to that line in
> > the next
> > incarnation. ;)
>
> ...or you could use a GUI for that ;-)

KDE-3.5 had one that was downright purty, but it hasn't been ported to
KDE-4.5.x yet, darnit.

> We've tried to keep the output simple and machine-parseable. All of
> the units are listed in the new user manual (as well as the text files
> in older versions of the documentation):
>
> http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/docs/latest/website/user-m
> anual.html#_nut_command_and_variable_naming_scheme

Is that link in the INSTALL file?

Thanks Charles.

--
Cheers, Gene