[Nut-upsuser] Dynamix 1000 VA USB and NUT

Glen Ogilvie nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz
Wed Sep 29 12:01:58 UTC 2010

Hi Arjen,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
> The best thing to do, would be to trade these units in (see also the reply
> from James Walker) and buy a UPS that offers better support. The fact that
> the vendor was too cheap to use a real USB vendorid/productid speaks volumes
> about these devices. You should be able to find supported devices for (far)
> less than US$ 100 a piece nowadays.

Had some success with the Dynamix 1000 UPS has been had.  Seems they
work with megatec serial over usb, krauler driver,
however, they have an issue with the language string so required some
hacking of libusb_get_string.  Brian R Smith found this
out and sent me a patch to test.   I think Brian or I will try and
improve it a bit before sending a patch to get these working
with nut.

In NZ, these are the cheapest UPS's available by quite a lot, and seem
from a hardware perspective to be quite reasonably
built, so having them supported will help the Linux community here.

I agree that it would be good to encourage the manufacture to get a
real USB vendorid, so will send them some feedback requesting this,
plus better USB support.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie