[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite Smart1200LCD and Debian

John McMillan johnmcmillaniv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 01:45:37 UTC 2011

Hey all,
I am trying to use NUT for a Tripplite Smart1200 LCD on a fresh copy of Debian 6.0.2.1. I installed NUT version 2.4.3 and I have pored through pages and pages of other posts, but for the life of me I can not get it to recognize the Tripplite. I know its an 09ae:2009 device and I've tried to add a rule in /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules as according to some posts, but to no avail. Whenever I try to run upsdrvctl start, it always returns:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
USB communication driver 0.31
This TrippLite device (09ae:2009) is not (or perhaps not yet) supported
by usbhid-ups. Please make sure you have an up-to-date version of NUT. If
this does not fix the problem, try running the driver with the
'-x productid=2009' option. Please report your results to the NUT user's
mailing list <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>.

No matching HID UPS found

I know that the system recognizes that it's there because when I run lsusb it shows:
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 09ae:2009 Tripp Lite
and a bunch of other lines.

I really would love to get this working.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John