[Nut-upsuser] APC BZ1200-BR

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 19:15:25 UTC 2011

2011/12/22 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Dec 21, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Mauricio Girardi wrote:
>
> > I installed NUT and followed all suggested procedures to
> > verify if my ups is supported.
> > No driver recognized my ups, and the genericups tests
> > get wrong.
> >
> > Here I send some informations about it:
> > The ups model is APC BZ1200-BR
> > I use Ubuntu, and the lsusb results
> >
> > Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices
> > International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
>
> From this page, I gather that it uses the "SGM" control software, not
> "PowerChute" like most of the rest of APC's line:
>

> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BZ1200-BR&tab=software
>
> I assume this is a rebranded unit, so it might make sense to try other NUT
> drivers. However, it is always worth asking the manufacturer if the
> protocol is available, otherwise you might consider returning the unit.
> (Even if you ultimately don't want to return it, you can still drop hints
> when asking for the protocol.)

I second Charles, though I doubt APC will provide anything.

I would add that since this uses a serial adapter, you should look only at
serial driver.
and there are not many candidates, considering APC and the legacy:
genericups with other APC cables, maybe mge-utalk and mge-shut

Otherwise, a usb sniff when using the provided SGM software may be an
option...

cheers,
Arno