[Nut-upsuser] driver error

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:47:32 UTC 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Steve Boyle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to install NUT on Ubuntu.  All is good until I try to
> start the driver, then I get this error:
> $ sudo upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
> USB communication driver 0.31
> This APC device (051d:0003) is not (or perhaps not yet) supported
> by usbhid-ups. Please make sure you have an up-to-date version of
> NUT. If
> this does not fix the problem, try running the driver with the
> '-x productid=0003' option. Please report your results to the NUT
> user's
> mailing list <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>.
>
> No matching HID UPS found
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>

> I’m using an APC SmartUPS  1500 VA 120V RM2U, it is connected via
> USB.  I would appreciate any suggestions from the list.  Looks like
> apt-get install gave me version 2.4.3, apt also claims this is the
> latest version.

APC 5G units with that product ID are supported as of NUT 2.6.0, which
is available in Ubuntu "natty" and later.

Usually we would encourage you to follow the advice in the error
message, and add "-x productid=0003" to the command line of the
driver, but judging from the changes necessary to support these units,
I think you would have better luck bugging the Ubuntu LTS folks for a
backport of the latest version of NUT.