[Nut-upsuser] Advice on small office UPS

Doug Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Tue Apr 24 03:00:57 UTC 2012

Alastair,

The short answer is that the two tools are approaching the problem from two
different directions. The models are in completely different classes with
different features.

My personal suggestion for your application is the Eaton EX 2200. There are
several reasons for this.
Cost
Features needed
Outlet needed (building power) (at least is true for US. 20 amp opposed to
30 amp for the 3kva)
Double conversion (no switching from line to battery)

The Eaton models below are higher end data center units as compared to the
APC models that are more like the EX and the Evolution lines (but not even
close in quality and performance).

I would go with the 2200 and if you need more run time add an external
battery or two. I usually shoot for a max load of 75 to 85% with an external
battery. This give extra capacity for inrush at startup and plenty of time
for shutdown. If you load the UPS too high there may not be sufficient
battery to properly shutdown all the devices.

You can add a management card or talk USB/Serial to the unit. With the Linux
box as the master you can use the WinNut Client (or the new Nut Windows
port) as a slave to shut it down.  The Windows box will simply ask the Linux
box how the UPS is doing and the Linux box will report it's status.

Doug