[Nut-upsuser] Zigor Ebro 650 compatibility

Martyn Hill martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 19:48:31 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 21:27, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2012/8/11 Martyn Hill <martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
> <mailto:martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com>>
>
>     On 11/08/2012 21:00, Chris Rees wrote:
>
>         On 11 August 2012 20:52, Martyn Hill
>         <martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
>         <mailto:martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             On 11/08/2012 20:48, Chris Rees wrote:
>
>                 On 11 August 2012 20:29, Martyn Hill
>                 <martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
>                 <mailto:martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>                     On 11/08/2012 20:24, Chris Rees wrote:
>
>                         On 11 August 2012 19:14, Arnaud Quette
>                         <aquette.dev at gmail.com
>                         <mailto:aquette.dev at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>                             2012/8/11 Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com
>                             <mailto:utisoft at gmail.com>>
>

>                                 On 11 Aug 2012 13:03, "Martyn Hill"
>                                 <martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
>                                 <mailto:martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com>>
>                                 wrote:
>                                 (...)
>
>                                     My FreeBSD 8 appears to be
>                                     running/linking against libusb20 - the
>                                     'new'
>                                     one...
>
>                                 We killed the old one a long time ago ;)
>
>                             not sure of what you exactly mean here!
>                             libusb 0.1 is still avail in FBSD 9:
>                             http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=libusb&stype=all
>
>                             Update: while reading the comment on
>                              libusb1.0 website [1], I now
>                             understand why you're using "2.0"!
>
>                             "FreeBSD 8 and above include a
>                             FreeBSD-specific reimplementation of the
>                             libusb-1.0 API, so your applications will
>                             probably work there too. The
>                             source code for this library can be found:
>                             http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/libusb/"
>
>                             but still, your "killing" comment leave me
>                             in a doubtful state ;)
>
>                         Oops, haha, sorry, that's right; we didn't
>                         kill it, just switched
>                         default, and loads of ports needed
>                         modification over it.
>

>                     Do we know how to 'use' the legacy libusb 0.1 in
>                     FreeBSD?
>
>                 As Arnaud pointed out, they're still there; including
>                 usb.h uses the
>                 libusb 0.1 compat layer.
>

>             So, does that mean I would need to recompile nut, but link
>             it against libusb
>             0.1 compat layer?
>
>             If so, how would I go about that?
>
>         My understanding is that you shouldn't need to be concerned with
>         that-- NUT uses libusb-0.1, which is emulated in FreeBSD with
>         libusb20.  Thus changing the version to link with makes no sense.
>
>         Chris
>

>     OK, so back to square one... I guess testing the UPS on a
>     currently supported is the next most sensible step, then - at
>     least to determine if the driver really works with the Zigor...
>

> the good is that it's a HID device, as you've guessed, supported by
> usbhid-ups.
> though the device has a bad/buggy implementation:
> - vendorid/productid,
> - and the main "UPS", coded as 00860004 instead of 00840004.
> I'll have to create a fix for this one.

I patched your drivers/libhid.c and recompiled, which atleast allowed
the incorrect code to be recognised as 'UPS'. Obviously, not enough to
get things working...

> the bad news is the I/O errors: until it's fixed, we're stuck!
> you should still be able to force compilation/link against the actual
> libusb 0.1 (ie not 2.0 compat), and should really do it.

Can't figure out how to do this and, in the light of Chris's comments
previously, not sure it's supposed to be necessary...

> a 2nd thing to check is uhid. iirc, you should either unload it or
> blacklist the dev or something like that...

I recompiled my FreeBSD kernel without uhid.ko and can succesfully
load/unload uhid as a module now.

> cheers,
> Arno

So, stalled for now, until I can figure how to link against libusb01 on
FreeBSD... Not giving up hope yet, but no amount of googling is shinng a
light on this point. :-(

Thanks for your help thus far.

Martyn.

--
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."