[Nut-upsuser] Does NUT include support for older UPSD servers?

David H. Durgee dhdurgee at comcast.net
Tue Dec 4 18:17:22 UTC 2012

I have a network with two older systems protected by APC UPSs.  Both
systems run OS/2 and will continue to do so.  Both systems have APC
PowerChute Plus 4.2.3 installed and I can use that software to monitor
and control both systems.

I am also now running several linux systems, in fact I spend almost all
my time on the linux systems and these OS/2 systems are servers running
in the background which need to be protected.  Thus I would like to be
able to monitor the UPSs connected to the OS/2 systems from a linux
system.  Unfortunately that appears to be problematic. The PCP 4.x
software appears to use Lan Server for its network protocol while the
later APC software uses TCP/IP for networking. The Windows/WfWG version
of 4.x lacks network support.  The linux version of 4.x is not binary
compatible with modern linux systems and is closed source.

I have posted on the APC forums and they have had nothing further to
suggest to me other than to check third-party software or run the OS/2
software in a virtual machine.  Given this, I am posting this to ask if
there is backward compatibility in your package that would permit me to
monitor my UPSs connected via the OS/2 UPSD 4.2.3 software.  If not, I
guess I will need to look elsewhere.

Dave