[Nut-upsuser] Does NUT include support for older UPSD servers?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:07:29 UTC 2012

On Dec 4, 2012, at 1:17 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:

> I have a network with two older systems protected by APC UPSs.  Both systems run OS/2 and will continue to do so.  Both systems have APC PowerChute Plus 4.2.3 installed and I can use that software to monitor and control both systems.
>
> I am also now running several linux systems, in fact I spend almost all my time on the linux systems and these OS/2 systems are servers running in the background which need to be protected.  Thus I would like to be able to monitor the UPSs connected to the OS/2 systems from a linux system.  Unfortunately that appears to be problematic. The PCP 4.x software appears to use Lan Server for its network protocol while the later APC software uses TCP/IP for networking. The Windows/WfWG version of 4.x lacks network support.  The linux version of 4.x is not binary compatible with modern linux systems and is closed source.

So if I understand correctly, it is not possible to run the later PowerChute Plus software (that supports TCP/IP) on the OS/2 systems?

> I have posted on the APC forums and they have had nothing further to suggest to me other than to check third-party software or run the OS/2 software in a virtual machine.  Given this, I am posting this to ask if there is backward compatibility in your package that would permit me to monitor my UPSs connected via the OS/2 UPSD 4.2.3 software.  If not, I guess I will need to look elsewhere.

I don't think NUT has support for talking to PowerChute (unless it is hiding under a different name), but if we were to develop something for it, we would probably only target the TCP/IP interface.

If it is possible to get the OS/2 boxes to speak the PowerChute protocol over TCP, you might have some success with apcupsd:

  http://old.nabble.com/APC-PowerChute-Network-Protocol-to5424978.html

  http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#powerchute-network-shutdown-driver-pcnet

This is all speculation, however.

--