[Nut-upsuser] NUT MGE Pulsar Ellipse Premium 800: Changed NUT rw variables?

Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr
Thu Jun 28 05:22:03 UTC 2012

Hello again and thanks for a (as always) extremely informative post.

27/6/2012, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2012/6/26 Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias
>     I've got an MGE Pulsar Ellipse Premium 800 powering a couple of
>     FreeBSD systems. Driver used is mge-shut, I don't know what the new
>     mge-shut driver offers, but I follow the "if it works, don't fix it"
>     dogma here. :)
>

> well, as of 2.6.4, switching to newmge-shut is highly recommend.
>
> It will solve your issue with ups.{delay,timer}.{start,shutdown}.
> most notably, mge-shut is not evolving anymore, while newmge-shut does,
> through sharing a common HID core with usbhid-ups.
> SHUT means Serial HID UPS Transfer, and is about the same as USB, but on
> a serial link.

Did that and seems to start up and work properly, thank you! One more
question though: in ups.log the format of logging has changed a bit.
With mge-shut it was like:

20120628 080258 100% 230 43% 456 [OL CHRG]

...whereas with new_mge_shut it's:

20120628 080959 100% 230.0 45% 456 [OL CHRG BOOST]

The only thing that worries me is the "BOOST" at the end, which simply
was not there before. Running upsc gave me the following:

# upsc mailfw
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 456
battery.type: PbAc
device.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
device.model: ellipse premium 800
device.serial: unknown
device.type: ups
driver.name: newmge-shut
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuau0
driver.version: 2.6.1
driver.version.data: MGE HID 1.21
driver.version.internal: 0.35
input.transfer.high: 264
input.transfer.low: 161
outlet.1.desc: PowerShare Outlet 1
outlet.1.id: 2
outlet.1.status: on
outlet.1.switchable: yes
outlet.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.id: 2
outlet.switchable: no
output.frequency.nominal: 50
output.voltage: 230.0
output.voltage.nominal: 161
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 42
ups.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
ups.model: ellipse premium 800
ups.power.nominal: 800
ups.productid: ffff
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL CHRG BOOST
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.timer.start: -10
ups.vendorid: 0463

The only thing that somehow correlates here is that new variable
output.voltage.nominal, which for some reason is set to 161. Is this how
it should be set? upsrw with new_mge_shut shows that there is an option
to change this:
[output.voltage.nominal]
Nominal output voltage (V)
Type: ENUM
Option: "200"
Option: "208"
Option: "220"
Option: "230"
Option: "240"
Option: "100"
Option: "110"
Option: "120"
Option: "127"

Although IIRC, the better way would be to modify the entry for this ups
in ups.conf. However I can't find the newmge-shut man page (in fact from
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/nutupsdrv.html if one selects
newmge-shut(8) from the end of the page he is incorrectly sent to
another page). I can not find any mge-shut on my own system as well...

Summarizing:
1) Should I correct this value by hand somehow?
2) If so, how should I go for it?

Thank you again for your time and clarifications.

With kind regards,

M.-