[Nut-upsuser] Announce: VMware NUT client for ESXI 5.0

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:45:29 UTC 2012

Hey

2012/6/28 Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias <
pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr>

> Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> Dear NUT users,
>>
>> I recently came across an interesting effort to integrate NUT with
>> WMware ESXI, made by René Garcia.
>>
>> This is still rough and young, but already providing a good support:
>> http://www.networkupstools.**org/download.html#_**virtualization_packages<http://www.networkupstools.org/download.html#_virtualization_packages>
>>
>> We will work jointly in the coming months, René, Aurélien (from Eaton)
>> and myself, with the support from Eaton (which is a VMware partner), to
>> improve this integration and deliver the best user experience for power
>> management with VMware / vSphere.
>>
>> If you're interested in helping one way or another, please stand up.
>>

> Don't know if this counts as "help" but since I've got a 5.0ESXi (free
> versio, the vSphere Hypervisor) system , I'd be definitely interested in
> testing this out, provided that the package works also on the free vShpere
> Hypervisor.
>
> I do not speak French, but I can see that the package seems to rely on
> having vCenter available; I don't since this is a free vmware offering. I
> do have VMWare vSphere client installed though, can I accomplish
> configuration with it (not a esxi expert here)?

thanks for your help, the more testing, the better ;)

for a procedure, refer to the embedded readme file, in the archive.
I've scheduled to integrate a chapter in the user manual once we get the
work mainstrean (Ie inside of the NUT source tree).
this is a very basic integration, that doesn't require vCenter... vSphere
client is directly connected to ESXI.
for the sake of completion, René Garcia (author of the current version) has
almost exactly the same setup as yours.

@René: I'm cc'ing you since you seem not to be subscribed to the NUT ML (it
could be a good idea to subscribe both to -upsdev and -upsuser.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix / Opensource Engineering Expert - Eaton -
http://opensource.eaton.com