[Nut-upsuser] NUT MGE Pulsar Ellipse Premium 800: Changed NUT rw variables?

Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr
Fri Jun 29 05:37:38 UTC 2012

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2012/6/28 Tmima Pliroforikis Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias
> <pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr <mailto:pliroforiki at pieria.pkm.gov.gr>>
>
>     28/6/2012, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>     Just checked with the FreeBSD ports tree and the latest available is
>     2.6.1, so I'll recheck in 2-3 weeks for a newer NUT and will
>     follow-up with my findings on this list.
>

> so, in the meantime, prefer to revert back to mge-shut and modify
> temporarily your setting of ups.delay.* through upsrw by
> ondelay/offdelay in ups.conf. Using ups.timer will directly start the
> countdown, which is probably not the desired behavior (equivalent to
> calling shutdown.return, with using ondelay/offdelay in ups.conf).

I have reverted back to mge-shut, thanks again for the info.

What I do remember is that when I modified the nut startup script some
5+ years ago, I employed those 2 upsrw commands specifically because I
was unsuccessful in having the UPS power-off as well...

I need to make sure we are talking about the same here. I've been
employing the following 2 commands (which do not work anymore as you've
informed me) with mge-shut:
${nut_prefix}/bin/upsrw -s ups.delay.shutdown=80 -u user -p pass
mailfw at localhost
${nut_prefix}/bin/upsrw -s ups.delay.start=15 -u user -p pass
mailfw at localhost

IIRC, I had these two commands to make sure that on battery low, during
the system shutdown process and when the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut script
would be called with the stop parameter, the UPS would be configured to:
* Turn off in 80"
* when the power returns, the load should be powered not immediately,
but after 15" in order to make sure that UPS gets some "juice"

That is, the expected sequence would be:
  (power loss) -> (battery low) -> (initiate system shutdown) -> (run
nut script with "stop" argument) -> (at time t1: configure ups to turn
off after 80") -> (proceed) with the rest of system shutdown) -> (system
halts) -> (at time t1+80": UPS turns off)

and when power returns:

(power returns) -> (time t1: ups starts charging, without powering the
load) -> (time t1+15" UPS starts powering the load)

Is my understanding correct of how these two should work? I'm asking
here because it seems that I might have misunderstood how
ups.delay.startup works... Is ups.delay.startup used only to restart the
load during

According to the mge-shut man page, ondelay sets "... the timer before
the UPS is turned off after the kill powercommand is sent (via the -k
switch).

So it seems that is something entirely different.

Confused a bit..

M.-