[Nut-upsuser] eaton evolution not shutting down

Laurent Lesage laurent at lesagepono.be
Tue Mar 6 16:59:40 UTC 2012

Hi Arnaud,

see a little up below...

Arnaud Quette a écrit :
> 2012/2/22 Laurent Lesage <laurent at lesagepono.be>:
>
>> Bonjour Arnaud,
>>

> Bonjour Laurent,
>
> sorry for the lag in answering... long week end.
>

>> Arnaud Quette a écrit :
>>
>> 2012/2/21 Laurent Lesage <laurent at lesagepono.be>:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> Bonjour Laurent,
>>

>> I just changed my old MGE ellipse for a evolution 850 (now eaton). I can
>> connect using mge-shut (newmge-shut doesn't work). But I have a few
>> issues. I looked around on NUT web-site and googled with no luck.
>> Using debian lenny on 2.6.18 kernel (due to some ISDN driver that
>> doesn't work with earlier kernels)
>> 1) the most annoying is that I cannot shutdown the UPS. here is a trace :
>>

>> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.66 (2.2.2)
>> debug level is '2'
>> entering upsdrv_initups()
>> entering shut_ups_start()
>>
>> Communication with UPS established
>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 01, 18)
>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>> Device Descriptor:
>> bLength:         0x12
>> bDescriptorType:                    0x01
>> bcdUSB:         0x0110
>> bDeviceClass:         0x00
>> bDeviceSubClass:                    0x00
>> bDeviceProtocol:     0x00
>> bMaxPacketSize0:                    0x08
>> idVendor:         0x0463
>> idProduct:         0xffff
>> bcdDevice:                        0x0100
>> iManufacturer:         0x01
>> iProduct:                        0x02
>> iSerialNumber:         0x03
>> bNumConfigurations:     0x01
>>
>> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 22, 1811)
>> shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
>> Unable to get Report Descriptor
>>

>> If I put more "D", I see it stucks on "need more data!" like this :
>>

>> need more data (1691)!
>> Receive: (2 bytes) => 04 88
>> Receive: (8 bytes) => 10 b1 82 c0 05 84 09 11
>> shut_checksum: 7a => OK
>> sent: (1 bytes) => 06
>> need more data (1683)!
>>

>> 2) I tried to set some variables. The drivers accept to do it (upsrw)
>> but the actually do not change. some change but not with the value I set
>> in the command and come back to their initial value after a few seconds.
>>

> I will need some more details on this point:
> - which variables
> - a driver debug output when changing values
>

>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> sure, but I need more info.
>> first, issue (1) means that the driver can't start, while (2) implies
>> that the driver is started...
>> is (1) a repeatable issue?
>>

>> Yes. It happens only when trying to shutdown (upsdrvctl shutdown)
>>

> then, are you sure that, when calling "upsdrvctl shutdown", the
> previous driver instance has been stopped?
> Ie, before calling "upsdrvctl shutdown", you need to call "upsdrvctl stop".

I tried this because the automatic shutdown process, which worked fine
with the old ellipse USB-S, didn't work anymore. I must have mixed my
hands... This way, it shuts down. I'll investigate to see why it seems
to not do it when power is lost And keep you informed.
>> or is is only that when you're trying to shutdown the UPS (Ie
>> 'upsdrvctl shutdown' or 'mge-shut -k ...'), it fails?
>>
>> can you please send back a full trace, with debug level 5 (Ie -DDDDD),
>> in compressed form?
>>

>> here it is (attached). I have to type ''/lib/nut/mge-shut -a evolution -k
>> -DDDDD  > shutdown.trace 2>&1'' to get it (upsdrvctl gives no detail).
>>
>> Finally, note that 2.2.2 is quite oldish now, so you may also consider
>> an update.
>>

>> Sure.... :-) (It's the "lenny" version for the moment)
>>
>> I also noticed sthg strange : the variables and values listed with "upsrw"
>> seem to be defautl values. I changed some with the windows configurator but
>> they stil seem to be the same. If I restart the window MGE software, it gets
>> the modified values, not the default ones. So, it seems (it seems only!)
>> that the values the "mge-shut" driver gets are wrong. But the variable names
>> are meaningful and totally related to the functionnalities of the UPS  - so
>> their names must be correct.
>>
>> for example, upsrw gives (but for example, the "outlet.2.delay.start" should
>> be 120, as configured by the windows software - and here it is "-1") :
>>

> nothing abnormal.
> this is due to the difference between NUT and Windows MGE software in
> storing params and settings values:
> for example,  "outlet.2.delay.start" set to 120 is stored by the
> Windows software, but not applied into the device.

Well, I don't think so : I used another instance of the software on
another windows machine (say PC2). It gets back the data set with the
other windows computer (say, PC1). And if I change sthg with PC2, and
connect the ups on PC1, I get the value changed (here, the "ondelay" for
one of the programmable outlets). That means that the driver does not
get the values from the ups. On the other side, I also cannot change
those value with 'upsrw' as I told you. But when I use the commnd on the
linux box, it doesn't complain about any error. I think that this could
be the same issue. Maybe it is related to the fact that I use an "old"
version but, as I told you, it worked fine with the old MGE ellipse. Do
you have any experience with those "new" eaton UPSes? Could it be they
changed some specifications?
If I can find how to make a clean shutdown , I will be able to use the
ups as expected. But I would have to use windows software to set
parameters inside the ups, which is quite annoying.
if you have any clue, please let me know.

> whenever you see this "-1", it is a timer. whenever you set a timer to
> a value, countdown start, and in the end, the action (Ie start, stop,
> cycle, ...) is executed.

Well, that would mean that the "variables" are not the right ones - I
mean the setup values. I would like to be able to "set" the fact that,
when the power is back, the outlet 2 for example waits 2 minutes before
giving power to the connected hardware. That said, I cannot set those
counters (they stay at "-1").