[Nut-upsuser] staging shutdowns

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 7 19:53:38 UTC 2012

On 3/7/12 2:35 PM, Darin Perusich wrote:

> I'm deploying NUT in a data center and I'm curious to know how others
> have gone about staging the shutdown of various systems. The systems
> are broken down into groups of importance, group1 being the most
> important group4 being the least. In the event of an outage take down
> group4 after 5 minutes, group3 after 10 minutes, group2 after 15, and
> finally group4 after 20.
>
> I've only been using NUT for a few days but I'm assuming I can
> accomplish this with a combination multiple systems, upssched events.

Here's how I handle it. In this case, the criteria is not when the power has
shut down (I don't stage the shutdowns in that case) but if the air conditioner
has failed and the temperature is rising in my server room. I want to shut down
the less-important systems first, and gradually shut down more systems if the
temperature continues to rise.

The "tagger" script is something custom to our site. For purposes of this
script, it defines what you refer to as group4, group3, etc.

The "run_all.sh" script, which I can send you though it's pretty trivial, sends
a group of systems the same command. I normally use it to patch my cluster, but
here it's being used to send the "shutdown" command.

I hope this is useful.

--
Bill Seligman             | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ | mailto://seligman@nevis.columbia.edu