[Nut-upsuser] staging shutdowns

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 23:00:24 UTC 2012

Hi Darin,

I'm very interested in helping you there, and complete documentation
(Typical setup...)

To provide you with a suitable, I'll need to know a bit more about
your setup, Ie number of UPS / PDU, power topology (ie 1 big UPS only,
redundancy on some groups, brand of HW (for features), ...). The more
details, the better.

2012/3/7 Darin Perusich <darin at darins.net>:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM, William Seligman
> <seligman at nevis.columbia.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Here's how I handle it. In this case, the criteria is not when the power has
>> shut down (I don't stage the shutdowns in that case) but if the air conditioner
>> has failed and the temperature is rising in my server room. I want to shut down
>> the less-important systems first, and gradually shut down more systems if the
>> temperature continues to rise.
>>
>> The "tagger" script is something custom to our site. For purposes of this
>> script, it defines what you refer to as group4, group3, etc.
>>
>> The "run_all.sh" script, which I can send you though it's pretty trivial, sends
>> a group of systems the same command. I normally use it to patch my cluster, but
>> here it's being used to send the "shutdown" command.
>>
>> I hope this is useful.
>
> This was helpful. I just finished reading the Shutdown_design
> documentation which was also very helpful in explaining how things
> transpire. I'm experiencing NUT documentation overload right now since
> I've never used it before.

sorry for the overload, this doc still needs optimization!

if you want to use NUT to accomplish the task, you will indeed have to
use a combination of:
- upsmon (1 master per group + 1 global master ; then all other
systems in groups are slaves),
- upssched,
- clone or clone-outlet or dummy-ups,
- some scripting (shell, python, perl).

I'm thinking for some time now about a "nutmon" that would still be
simple by default, but that would allow to address everything possible
in NUT.
so your kind of feedback would be very useful.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com