[Nut-upsuser] NUT for iOS

Peter Gosztonyi peter at gosztonyi.com
Mon Mar 12 07:57:01 UTC 2012

Hi Mat,

I'm certain that in this case "shouting in the forest" will at least attract some attention as it did with you. Though I didn't get the sense that you are aware of a suitable solution, I'll reply out of politeness to your post since you made some efforts.

I certainly understand that some people prefer command line tools, compiling apps and config files and all the other bits and pieces that comes with it. For those NUT migth certainly be a good tool, but there are others that just want to get the functionality in a cost-effective, easy, reliable and safe way. Let's not forget Admins also cost money or in other words time is money not even thinking about TCO. Just to confirm your point, I guess dependent on your background and intentions, you either prefer this or the other way.

Yes, I'm aware that UPS makers offer GUI clients - but most of them aren't able to connect to a remote UPS but are simply designed to support a directly connected UPS. I'm also aware that there are many other aps for all sorts of other operating systems such as Windows, Linux, BSD, etc. But that's not my concern either - I have an iOS server and that's for what I need to find a solution.

In regards to your comment about GPL licensed apps not being available on the App Store - probably worth to mention at this stage that you can get apps directly from vendors and don't have to go through the App Store. I'm not talking about an iPad or iPhone here that are more or less dependent on the AppStore. Mac's are open and hence GPL apps aren't an issue. You don't have to write a "other-licensed" NUT client at all. Having said that I searched the AppStore as the first instance for networkable UPS clients, but unfortunately there is none.

And last - as to why I would want to do all this? Consumer product or not doesn't matter. The device I want to protect is a Mac mini with iOS Lion Server. The server runs 24/7 and has a database. For this and also for hardware protection, I have bought an UPS.

Pete