[Nut-upsuser] NUT for iOS

Mathieu Simon mathieu.sim at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 06:32:56 UTC 2012

G'day Peter

Am 11.03.2012 12:33, schrieb Peter Gosztonyi:
> I spent now a few hours in the attempt to get NUT installed and up and running. I'm just fed up
> with this type of wasting time. There should be a simple app I can download and install and a GUI
> for the configuration. No fiddling around with multiple config files, setting up services to autostart,
> etc. That feels so much like the 90s when I started with computers. I'm over that time…
"Shouting in the forest" as such will not really give you any useful
help this way I doubt. :-/

It depends on your philosophy, I definitely don't want to start a
flamewar on this.
Some people/admins like to have text config files and a good manpage
instead of a full-blown GUI.
Most UPS makers supported by NUT will also give you their proprietary
GUI client but for a limited
subset of operating systems.

Most NAS boxes from Synology or QNAP provide a GUI to configure NUT as a
UPS client,
for Windows there is also a port, other Linux/BSD can have a GUI too.
(http://www.networkupstools.org/projects.html)
> Can anybody recommend a NUT app that doesn't have to be compiled and configured as mentioned above.
> All I need is for the app to connected to a Synology NAS's UPS server and shut down the iOS server.
NUT is GPL licensed and thus a derived app would be too - at the current
state it's very unlikely
Apple would accept a GPL-licensed tool in their app store. - Same
applies to the MS Win Phone.
(You'd need to write a other-licensed NUT client from scratch)

I'm just curious why you'd want to shutdown an iOS device hooked up on a
UPS since all devices I
know running iOS are definitely consumer devices where I don't see a
real use for UPS.

-- Mat