[Nut-upsuser] Two servers with redundant supplies on two UPSs

Ingo Schaefer ingo at ingo-schaefer.de
Thu May 10 08:26:49 UTC 2012

Hello,
Am Donnerstag, den 10.05.2012, 11:09 +0300 schrieb Tmima Pliroforikis
Perifereiakis Enotitas Pierias:

> * Two windows 2003 servers (different models)
> * Each server has two PSUs
> * Each server has a single serial port
> * Two UPSs are available of the exact same type (XPower Tigra 1kVA).
> Each has a serial port
> * The 1st PSU of each server is powered by the 1st UPS
> * The 2nd PSU of each server is powered by the 2nd UPS
>
> I am trying to install NUT on the best "optimal" way for these two
> systems. My obvious solution so far is:
>
> Implementation 1:
> * Connect 1st ups via serial to 1st server and 2nd ups via serial to 2nd
> server
> * Setup nut on both systems on standalone mode.
>
> I'd obviously prefer a clean master-slave relationship, but since each
> server has a single serial port, I can't do that. Any better ways to do
> this? Just asking :)

See
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html#BigServers
for some implementation hints

So if you set up both servers beeing the master for one UPS and
monitoring both with "minsupplies 1" that would do the trick. So Server
1 is master for UPS 1 and slave to server 2/UPS 2; Server 2 ist master
for UPS 2 and slave to server 1/UPS 1.

You should not forget to have a redundant power supply on the network
switch between these two servers as well or maybe a direct network cable
connection between both servers.

(I once had servers running until the ups powered off, because the
server runnung nut master was the only one shut down correctly. The
others lost connection to nut because one of the switches was not
connected to the UPS)

Kind regards,
Ingo