[Nut-upsuser] [NUT-upsuser] How to NUT test the compatibility?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:48:58 UTC 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Andrew Min Chang wrote:

>  I planted NUT into our project. But my boss asked me: how do you promise the UPS compatibility to those who use our device?
>
> I know the compatibility list of NUT is a great reference. However, is also a good idea for us to test the compatibilitywith our complete device.
>
> Therefore, I wonder how NUT developers actually test the compatibility with so many type of UPSes? And are there any organizations or companies provide this kind of compatibilitytest service?

As an open source project, we don't guarantee compatibility across the board - to do so would be silly without some sort of agreement with the manufacturers. Often, the UPS communication protocols change without notice.

This is reflected in the headers of the source code, and in section 11 of the GPL (v2):

11. ... THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

However, the companies that sponsor NUT development or use NUT in their products certainly view this differently. Your best bet may be to partner with UPS companies such as Eaton, which is outside the scope of the NUT open source project.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail