[Nut-upsuser] mge-utalk ESV8+ comm problem

Martin Loyer martin at martinloyer.fr
Tue Oct 16 06:13:38 UTC 2012

Salut Arnaud :D

>> I have an old ESV8 UPS down here, and I did code patching years ago to
>> support old model on nut.
> is your ESV8 still working?
For sure :)
This UPS is strong! By now, it is 18 years old :O
>> But, I got some bad effect, like Debian bug you mentionned on your email.
>>
>> Would be difficult for me to gain access to an ESV8+, but we can work
>> together to test.
> even to me. all this goes back to MGE time, now defunct for 5 years.
> the only things that survived is the Comet and E Series DX (see below)
I may have access to an old ESV8+. I gave one to a friend of mine, years
ago.

>> I can make some test, but I need more information. Could you send me your
>> debug log?
> I think I've found a Comet and a E Series DX (so speaking UTalk) at Eaton today.
> this is the kind of things that becomes rare nowadays!
>
> on the patch side, I'd also like to:
> - add some more inter-char delay, since mge_command() only has 100 ms.
> I've just checked again Utalk spec [1], and we should be at least 500
> ms between commands.
> the point here is that this inter-char delay is not satisfied with
> commands that do not receive an answer (such as Z)
Interesting. If we are hearing too fast, it's not that good.
For specific commands (such as Z), we may just wait and ignore any
answers (as we did by the past).

> - see the result of Marek's mention, i.e moving the double Z before the Si test.
For sure. I dig on my archives, and found a serial spy log taken on
Windows between PSP and ESV8.
Z is send twice, then AX 1, then SI 1.

By the way, I worked a lot to make support of programmable outlets. By
now, it is not supported (even for recent UPS, working on usb-hid). I
may test and patch.

@Ivo: could you send me your log file?

Cheers :)

Martin