[Nut-upsuser] mge-utalk ESV8+ comm problem

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:13:28 UTC 2012

2012/10/16 Martin Loyer

> Salut Arnaud :D

salut Martin !!
спасение Ivo

Ivo, we really need your implication to solve *your* issue!

>  I have an old ESV8 UPS down here, and I did code patching years ago to
>>> support old model on nut.
>>>
>> is your ESV8 still working?
>>
> For sure :)
> This UPS is strong! By now, it is 18 years old :O

made to last until the end of time ;)
ah, good ol' MGE time.

>  But, I got some bad effect, like Debian bug you mentionned on your email.
>>>
>>> Would be difficult for me to gain access to an ESV8+, but we can work
>>> together to test.
>>>
>> even to me. all this goes back to MGE time, now defunct for 5 years.
>> the only things that survived is the Comet and E Series DX (see below)
>>
> I may have access to an old ESV8+. I gave one to a friend of mine, years
> ago.

that would be nice

>  I can make some test, but I need more information. Could you send me your
>>> debug log?
>>>
>> I think I've found a Comet and a E Series DX (so speaking UTalk) at Eaton
>> today.
>> this is the kind of things that becomes rare nowadays!
>>
>> on the patch side, I'd also like to:
>> - add some more inter-char delay, since mge_command() only has 100 ms.
>> I've just checked again Utalk spec [1], and we should be at least 500
>> ms between commands.
>> the point here is that this inter-char delay is not satisfied with
>> commands that do not receive an answer (such as Z)
>>
> Interesting. If we are hearing too fast, it's not that good.

we're *talking* too fast actually ;)

> For specific commands (such as Z), we may just wait and ignore any answers
> (as we did by the past).

not sure to get your point!? we still ignore the result of mge_command(...
Z)

>  - see the result of Marek's mention, i.e moving the double Z before the
>> Si test.
>>
> For sure. I dig on my archives, and found a serial spy log taken on
> Windows between PSP and ESV8.
> Z is send twice, then AX 1, then SI 1.

yep, with 500 ms inter-commands... I still have access to that code ;)

> By the way, I worked a lot to make support of programmable outlets. By
> now, it is not supported (even for recent UPS, working on usb-hid). I may
> test and patch.
>
> @Ivo: could you send me your log file?

@Martin: how do you want to proceed on the UTalk issue?
I can either provide a (set of) patch(es), or few directions...

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org